Our congregation's Stephen Ministry equips lay people to provide confidential, one-on-one, Christian care to individuals in our congregation and community who are experiencing difficulties in their lives. Stephen Ministers serve as a presence in the life of another person offering needed care while remembering that only Christ offers a cure. The Stephen Ministry logo symbolizes that we are broken people and that it is through the cross of Jesus that we are made whole.
Summertime Stress Slowing You Down?
We like to think of summer as being a relaxing, enjoyable time. But hurts, struggles, crises, and problems don't take a vacation. Many times our difficulties seem even worse during the summer because everyone else seems to be enjoying life while you are feeling down. If you are experiencing a difficult time--emotionally, spiritually, or relationally--you don't have to suffer alone. Our Stephen Ministers are trained caregivers, ready to listen, care for and encourage you, pray with and for you, and provide one-to-one Christian care to help you through whatever it is that you are facing. Men are matched with male Stephen Ministers and women are matched with female Stephen Ministers. It's free. It's confidential. And it will make a difference in your life!
To find out more about Stephen Ministry for you or someone you know, talk with Referrals Coordinator Sybil Holveck at 656-7679 or Pastor Chris Curran at 949-9633.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I refer someone to the Stephen Ministry?
If you feel that Stephen Ministry would be beneficial to you or someone you care about, please contact the church office at (325) 949-9633, or call the Referral Coordinator, Sybil Holveck, at home (325-944-8798) or cell (325-656-7679). You can also send a confidential email to .
If you are calling about someone else, please be sure to get their permission first. Sybil will meet with the potential care receiver to have a conversation about Stephen Ministry and whether it's a good fit for the person and their situation.
What is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is:
- A child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting.
- A congregation member with gifts for
care-giving, who has carefully selected to serve in this role.
- A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in providing emotional and spiritual care.
- A caring, Christian friend who listens, cares, prays, supports, & encourages.
- Someone who will be there for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for about an hour each week, for as long as there's a need.
Who is Stephen Ministry for?
Stephen Ministers care for people facing tough times. We all experience challenges in
- Loss of a Loved One
- Divorce or Separation
- Loneliness or Discouragement
- Spiritual Crisis
- Unemployment or Job Crisis
- Terminal Illness
- Birth, Adoption, Miscarriage, or Infertility
- Chronic Illness
- Recovery After an Accident or Disaster
- Anything else a person needs help with
Do I have to be a church member to receive care?
No, Stephen Ministry is a ministry that is open to all people regardless of church membership or church background.
How can I be involved in Stephen Ministry?
You play an important role in our Stephen Ministry. Here's what you can do:
- Pray for God to bring hope and healing to hurting people through our Stephen Ministry.
- Accept care from a Stephen Minister during your time of need. (God doesn't expect you to bear your burdens alone.)
- Tell a friend, neighbor, coworker, or relative who is hurting about our Stephen Ministry.
- If you are a good listener and a compassionate person, prayerfully consider becoming a Stephen Minister.
If you are interested in possibly becoming a Stephen Minister or have any questions about Stephen Ministry, contact one of our Stephen Leaders or church staff.